If your tiny son came to you on a hot day and asked for some water, would you demand that he first find his pocket money and empty it into your lap?
And if his older brother had much more in his savings and gave you the whole lot, would you give him a larger glass because he’s paid you more?
Would you then declare to their school friends that if they send you a specific amount of £22 / $15 / €18, they could also receive this wonderful blessing of an ice-cool glass of water, followed by some freshly made lemonade?
So, why do we complicate things?
Why do ‘people of God’ claim they were woken up in the early hours by an angel, who then pointed to the ceiling and there stood the Almighty, proclaiming it’s a season of blessing for everyone if you send them some of your hard-earned cash?
Those sick, can be healed. People in pain can throw away their medication. Anyone struggling to pay their bills can go book a 3 week Mediterranean cruise, coz money’s coming your way baby. “And those who have enemies, awful neighbours, bad bosses…you can just open your wallet, pass the contents to me and God will sort you out y’all.”
Jesus said, “If you then, though you are evil, (compared to God, we are) know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in Heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!” (Matthew 7:11)
God doesn’t need our large cheques in order to provide for our needs. Do you tithe? (Give 10% of your gross earnings and unexpected gifts to your local church) That’s enough. Yes, there are offerings on top of that which should be given willingly and cheerfully, but not because of some ‘prophet’s’ claim that God has spoken and demanded a specific sum which in turn, will guarantee you what he already promised in his Word to give you freely.
Truth hurts dunnit? *But the truth sets us free and until we realise and admit it’s our own spiritual lazyness why we don’t receive many blessings, we’ll never move forward. **Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God, so we need to switch off YouTube and God Channel and open our bibles, read, study, meditate and hear what God is saying ourselves.
Yes, life is busy and we need to relax, and wind down, and chill out, and have some me time, and rest, and re-focus, and sleep and…oh look, it’s the next day, week, month, year and we don’t know what God is saying because we haven’t been listening.
So, we switch on the television or put our noses into our phones, in search of a special word.
But on the floor is a book and inside it says:
- My God shall supply all your needs according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:19)
- The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in need of any good thing. (Psalm 23:1)
- Now this is the confidence that we have in him, that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of him. (1 John 5:14-15)
- Do not fret because of those who are evil or be envious of those who do wrong. For they shall soon be cut down like the grass and wither like green herbs. (Psalm 37:1)
- Take delight in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart. (Psalm 37:4)
- Oh the joys of those who do not follow the advice of the wicked or stand around with sinners, or join in with mockers. But they delight in the law of the Lord, meditating on it day and night. They are like trees planted along the riverbank, bearing fruit each season. Their leaves never wither and they prosper in all they do. (Psalm 1:1-3)
- The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life – of whom shall I be afraid? (Psalm 27:1)
- Be anxious for nothing, but in everything with prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, let your request be made known to God. And the peace of God which surpasses all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6)
- But remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth… (Deuteronomy 8:18)
- Beloved, I wish above all things that you may prosper and be in health, even as your soul prospers. (3 John 1:2)
There’s no more to say. I’ve been guilty of being complacent myself. If we’re honest, we all have. I don’t want to get to the end of my life and discover I spent more time scouring the internet than my bible – I spent more time sleeping than praying. You get the picture.
Let’s wake up and stop listening to people who claim they have special access to God’s mind. We ALL have.
It’s called The Holy Bible.
* John 8:32
** Romans 10:17